söndag 6 november 2016

A new ca 1330s Italian outfit

Ever since going to Florence last autumn I've been inspired to make som more Italian costumes. The first result was this 15th century gown. My next plan was to make 16th century Florentine, including a version of the Pisa gown (scroll down) - after all I have 25 metres of red velvet :)
But then the baroness-thing happened and Måns and I decided to go for the period ca 1250-1330.

Another trip to Florence together with my firend Sara this spring and then Bologna this September didn't make me less enthusiastic over medeival and Renaissance Italy, but while Florence made me want to make stuff from the 15th cend 16th centuries, Bologna, especially the Pinacoteca, made me appreciate, and love, the subtle differences between Italian 14th century fashions and those north of the Alps. It's been visible in this blog ever since I came home from Bologna and now I have also finished my first gown in Italian early 14th century style.

I have been very ill with my arthirtis and still can't spend much time sitting in front of the computer, so the documentation will have to wait, but I do have some photos, taken by my friend and neighbour Anna.



From this partly improvised photo session ( I didn't have a shift under, nor stockings - oh no!) I learned a few things:

1. I got the hair right, but I need more practicing with my various sheer silk veils and wraps.

2. I should not wear a bra under. I knew this of course, but I forgot to bring something else to keep the boobs in place when I went over to her place.

3. The glass beads on the trim makes it heavy and I need to pin the overtunic to the undertunic, so it won't fall down. Probably best to pin it to the shift too.
Illustrated by this photo.


By request: close-up of the tri, glass beads sewn to gold coloured trim.





5 kommentarer:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis, but I love the new gown! I'm also impressed that you completed an outfit with the arthritis bothering you, though I can see where typing might hurt worse than sewing.

    If you get a chance, maybe Anna or someone could take a close-up picture of the trim on the dress sometime. Did you sew the beads on it yourself, or did it come beaded? I would love to be able to see the design.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I beaded it myself, I'll add a photo of the trim.

      Radera
    2. Thank you! It looks wonderful; not too complex, not modern.

      Radera
  2. Given that your photo session was improvised quickly, I think the veil looks wonderful! Veils are always a problem for me; they always look too big and blocky on me.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you. This is _very_ thin silk. Thwre are so many variations in art from the period, but they all seem to be made from silk, the way they flow, and often very sheer.

      Radera