onsdag 16 augusti 2017

My teal regency gown is photographed

And has lots of pictures of it, the underpinnings, my inspirations etc, etc, over at its page.


tisdag 15 augusti 2017

The regency gown is finished

It hangs funnily, despite some pinning, because that's what drop-front gowns do :)



Now I'm going to start on a cap from dotted and embroidered net.

söndag 13 augusti 2017

Re-making and making things up as I go along

This is the last day of my holidays and I thought I'd do something that I really enjoy. So I spent the afternoon sewing and listening to The Cleric Quintet on audiobook.

First I started re-making my regency stays again. I showed the first re-make in my previous post, when I had taken them in c. 8 cm. However, while they worked as they were I knew that my bust would look more correct if I shortened the bust gores. So that's what I did.

Yesterday I was at my friend Anna's place contributing with advice and moral support (and artificial whale bone) when she started patterning her first stays, late 18th century transitional stays with cups. While talking (i'm good at multi-tasking ; ) I took in my regency petticoat.

Current version of stays and petticoat:


When they were first made:


Then I started on the bodice. I made the sleeves yesterday, though I think I may have to re-do them, they are maybe too wide. We'll see how it looks when they are sewn in to the bodice.

First I had to make a new pattern, but with the help of my previous, too large pattern, or at least the front piece, since I couldn't find the back piece, it wasn't that difficult.

Apart from the usual sources such as Patterns of Fashion and Kvinnligt mode under två sekel  by Pernilla Rasmussen and Britta Hammar, I also looked at a couple of patterns from the internet, generously shared by the 19th US Regiment of InfantryCapt. Angus Langham's Company1812-1815
Here you find their images and patterns of extant gows and outerwear.

And I sort of make it up as I go along. It is all hand sewn, as the rest of my regency clothing except for the stays, which were a test version whee only the lacing holes in the back are hand sewn. And making things by hand you can do it piece by piece and figure out, for example, exactly where to attach the skirt later. So I am basically making it up as I go along. There is one narrow channel more to make, the bodice will be gathered in front, before I have to figure out the skirt. And I can do that tomorrow, when I'm less tired.




lördag 12 augusti 2017

Regency progress

Today, with one day left of my holidays, I finished the embroidery on the skirt of my new regency frock. However, I need to make a new bodice pattern before I can continue with it. A help in this would be a petticoat that fits in the bodice, so I have now started re-making the petticoat; and it ought to be finished today, so I can work on the bodice pattern tomorrow.

Here's the embroidered, washed and ironed skirt.


Now I'll get back to sewing and listening to the Cleric Quintet by R.A Salvatore as audio book.

The picnic is on September 2nd - it ought to be possible to have everything done by then.