söndag 16 oktober 2016

New headwear

I don't need any new clothes from the High Middle Ages, and I can't knit right now because of my arthritis, and, I have also run out of pergamanata, so I can't make scrolls. But I need craft projects, or I'll go crazy.
So I made some new headwear, trying a new version of the 13th century pleated fillet.



Maceijowski Bible, ca 1250



I've made several other interpretations of pleated, wavy, or decorated white fillets, trying new techniques, and one day I will make a post evaluating them all, but not today. I like how this one looks though and will wear it to an event next weekend. I also like having braids hanging down, after finding so many examples from the 13th century.

I also made me a new early 14th century hood (Mr Claus hoods my friend Anna and I call them, because quite a few are red with white lining, presumably fur).



Mine is blue wool, lined in white self-striped linen. 



My previous hoods of this type has only been rectangles sewn together, because that's how they look in the pictures, but for this one I added a gore in the back and it makes it sit better on the head.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Very nice! I've always wondered how those linen fillets are made. Maybe you would be interested in publishing a tutorial sometime?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Very nice! I've always wondered how those linen fillets are made. Maybe you would be interested in publishing a tutorial sometime?

    SvaraRadera
  3. I'm not sure this is the right way, but I do plan to make a long-ish post about different interpretations and how to make them.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Looking great! I can't believe I never thought about putting in a gore on those hoods before you mentioned it...

    I'm looking forward to your fillet post - many years ago I tried making one and it didn't quite work.

    SvaraRadera