söndag 15 januari 2017

A yellow and red mi-parti gown

The cut, which skims the body, but isn't tight, and the modest neckline would probably place this one in the 1330s or thereabout.

Maja didn't really need more clothes right now, but then I bought this lovely, soft and draping yellow wool from Italienska Modetyger at a sewing faire. I bought all there was, but it was in no way enough for a gown. So mi-parti it had to be, and with Maja's arms being in red and yellow, red wool was an easy choice. It's no way near as soft as the yellow wool, but since the whole gown is lined with blue silk habotai  even a kid may be able to wear it without dying from wool itchiness ;) (Except the yellow sleeve, I ran out of fabric and had to use red habotai in that one - contrast was important in the Middle Ages, so of course I couldn't use red in the red sleeve.)


As you can see I also cut her hair on Monday night, so I have to come up with some cap and/or false braid solution for the next event.

2 kommentarer:

  1. It's a lovely gown, and I expect Maja will enjoy wearing it.

    Right now I'm looking for some lightweight brown wool flannel to use in adding gores to a Viking apron dress that is now way too tight. My thinking is that it should be close to the original in color but need not be an exact match (since I doubt I could not have exactly matched a subsequent addition to a dress in period). Every thing I've been finding is either way too pale, way too dark, or out of stock. :-( If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

    SvaraRadera
  2. i don't really know, but I think it's veryu likely that the medeival fondness of contrasting colour can't have been invented around AD 1000, but was soemthign that our viking ancestors enjoyed too.

    SvaraRadera